In our 30-hour course on Palliative Care, healthcare professionals, volunteers, and people dealing with loved ones entering a palliative care setting can deepen their understanding of these specialized needs and the lived experience of their patients. Students will be empowered to challenge common notions around mental illness and end-of-life care, fostering more compassionate approaches to working with an aging population.
Understand the Principles of Palliative Care:
- Define the core principles and goals of palliative care, emphasizing comfort, quality of life, and holistic patient-centered approaches.
Enhance Communication Skills:
- Develop effective communication strategies for interacting with patients, families, and interdisciplinary healthcare teams in palliative care settings.
Cultural Competency in End-of-Life Care:
- Explore cultural considerations in providing palliative and dementia care, promoting an understanding of diverse perspectives and respectful approaches.
Identify Symptom Management Techniques:
- Gain proficiency in recognizing and managing common symptoms associated with palliative care, such as pain, anxiety, and behavioral challenges.
Foster Empathy and Compassion:
- Cultivate empathy and compassion towards patients and their families facing end-of-life situations, fostering a caring and supportive environment.
Navigate Ethical and Legal Considerations:
- Understand the ethical principles and legal considerations involved in palliative care, ensuring adherence to professional standards and guidelines.
Collaborate in Interdisciplinary Teams:
- Appreciate the importance of teamwork in palliative and dementia care, collaborating effectively with healthcare professionals from various disciplines to provide comprehensive support.
Promote Self-Care and Resilience:
- Recognize the impact of providing care in emotionally challenging contexts and develop strategies for personal well-being and resilience.
Stay Informed on Emerging Trends:
- Stay abreast of the latest research and trends in palliative care, fostering a commitment to lifelong learning and continuous improvement in healthcare practices.
Ready To Apply?Apply Now